who's maintaining language-c? tis borken on hackage with 7.8 till a new version is pushed

Anthony Cowley acowley at seas.upenn.edu
Fri Feb 14 16:38:02 UTC 2014

On Friday, February 14, 2014, Carter Schonwald <carter.schonwald at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey all,
> someone needs to help take over language C maintainer ship, because its
> going to be broken on 7.8 unless someone pushes a sdist'd with a new happy/
> alex to hackage (see https://github.com/haskell/c2hs/issues/64 for an
> example issue)
>
> I know Anthony and Jason have at points patched language-c for their
> respective needs, so i'm cc'ing em :)
>
> -Carter

To clarify the situation for anyone who wants to take up the language-c
mantle, I have a fork at  https://github.com/acowley/language-c that lets
one use c2hs on OS X Mavericks, in particular for OpenCL and OpenGL. You
will probably find evidence of me reporting and talking about this issue in
various places; I never got any response from anyone, but sensed a healthy
amount of Won't Fix in the air.

A more popular fix has been to #define hacks for individual package build
systems, but this is crazy as it means the hack has to be replicated
everywhere. If c2hs is absolutely necessary, then its use of language-c
should be reconsidered. All I did was hack the language-c parser to be more
liberal in the attributes it accepts. I have no reason to believe that my
changes are correct, but it is apparent that nobody is using these parse
results: we just need the parser to not error out.

TL;DR: Long term, language-c should have a stripped down mode of operation
that better fits c2hs's needs. Short term, my language-c fork seems to work
on OS X, but I haven't tested much elsewhere.

Anthony