RFC: include a cabal-install executable in future GHC releases

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 04:48:38 UTC 2014

Bump!

have we reached any consensus on the different variations of this proposal?

a) i seem to recall some of the cabal maintainers expressing interest in
hosting binaries for major platforms

b) some sort of platform-lite thats the ghc bin dist + cabal-install,
targeted at folks using haskell on server rather than desktop envs -- there
was a bunch of strong support for this (esp those using haskell and aren't
on the major linux distros)

c)  incuding a cabal install binary in the release build bin dist for ghc
(there were some reasonable arguments against this)

am I missing any major ideas folks had?
both the "mini lite platform for servers" and "cabal binaries to easily
download" are great ideas.

-Carter