[Mid-discussion Summary] Proposal: add new Data.Bits.Bits(bitZero) method

Henning Thielemann schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Feb 24 18:00:04 UTC 2014

Am 22.02.2014 11:03, schrieb Herbert Valerio Riedel:

>      So far there doesn't seem to be a very clear preference for
>      'zeroBits' over 'zero'. It might help, if those how expressed some
>      kind of support for both variants could clarify if their preference
>      has any bias towards 'zeroBits' or 'zero'.

It turns out to be another round of the discussion qualified imports vs.
unqualified imports. Many Haskell programmers seem to avoid qualified
imports at all costs. I can't explain that, maybe the proponents of
qualified imports can do it.

But I suspect that what we really discuss is something more critical:
It's about conformance to PVP vs. non-conformance to PVP and thus
letting Hackage users fix packages of lazy programmers. I guess, what
the proponents of "zeroBit" really want, is to import unqualified,
implicitly and without version bounds when importing 'base'. If you want
to conform to the PVP and thus give the user a good experience, then you
have to give up one of these three conveniences. Strict version bounds
on "base" requires to update Cabal descriptions frequently. I guess you
don't want that. Explicit imports mean that you have to maintain import
lists. I guess you don't want that as well. The only convenient option
is to import qualified. But then Bits.zero is much better than
Bits.zeroBits.