qualified imports, PVP and so on (Was: add new Data.Bits.Bits(bitZero) method)

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 07:21:41 UTC 2014

<schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de>:
> [...] You use unqualified and
> implicit imports. That is according to the PVP you would need to use tight
> version bounds like "containers >=0.4.0 && <0.5.0.1", but you don't. That
> is, your package does not conform to the PVP. [...]

o_O Dumb question: Can somebody please explain why this doesn't
conform to the PVP? I have a very hard time reading that out of
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Package_versioning_policy. Perhaps
I'm looking at the wrong document or this interpretation is just
wishful thinking...

Regarding upper bounds: I never understood what their advantage should
be, IMHO they only lead to a version hell where you can't compile your
stuff anymore *only* because of the bounds, not because of anything
else.