qualified imports, PVP and so on (Was: add new Data.Bits.Bits(bitZero) method)

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 15:16:59 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 2:21 AM, Sven Panne <svenpanne at gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding upper bounds: I never understood what their advantage should
> be, IMHO they only lead to a version hell where you can't compile your
> stuff anymore *only* because of the bounds, not because of anything
> else.

A couple months ago we had yet another example of "that will never happen"
caused by people ignoring upper bounds. Developers never saw any problem,
of course; and who cares about all the users who had compiles explode with
unexpected errors? I think it took less than two weeks after someone
patched up the most visibly affected packages before developers were
shouting to remove upper bounds from the PVP again, because the affected
users are just users and apparently not important enough to consider when
setting versioning policy.