qualified imports, PVP and so on (Was: add new Data.Bits.Bits(bitZero) method)

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Tue Feb 25 16:09:59 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 1:44 AM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>wrote:
>
>> But that's only one half of the "package interoperability" issue. I face
>> this first hand on a daily basis with my Stackage maintenance. I spend far
>> more time reporting issues of restrictive upper bounds than I do with
>> broken builds from upstream changes. So I look at this as purely a game of
>> statistics: are you more likely to have code break because version 1.2 of
>> text changes the type of the map function and you didn't have an upper
>> bound, or because two dependencies of yours have *conflicting* versions
>> bounds on a package like aeson[2]? In my experience, the latter occurs far
>> more often than the former.
>

> I have a question for you.
>
> Is it better to save a developer some work, or is it better to force that
> work onto end users?
>
>  Because we keep constantly seeing examples where saving the developer
> some upper bounds PVP work forces users to deal with unexpected errors, but
> since Haskell developers don't see that user pain it is considered
> irrelevant/nonexistent and certainly not any justification for saving
> developers some work.
>
> Personally, I think any ecosystem which strongly prefers pushing
> versioning pain points onto end users instead of developers is doing itself
> a severe disservice.
>
> Are there things that could be improved about versioning policy?
> Absolutely. But pushing problems onto end users is not an improvement.

I think it's a false dichotomy. I've received plenty of complaints from
users about being unable to install newer versions of some dependency
because a library that Yesod depends on has an unnecessary strict upper
bound. Are there situations where the PVP saves a user some pain? Yes. Are
there situations where the PVP causes a user some pain? Yes.

It's disingenuous to frame this as a black and white "developer vs user"
issue, it's far more complex than that. After a lot of experience, I
believe the PVP- or at least strict adherence to it- is a net loss.

And I think the *real* solution is something like Stackage, where curators
have taken care of the versioning pain points instead of either developers
or end users. Linux distributions have been doing this for a long time.

Michael