qualified imports, PVP and so on

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Wed Feb 26 12:25:53 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-26 at 13:09:37 +0100, Michael Snoyman wrote:

[...]

> +1. If we're discussing PVP changes, the other one I'd like to propose is:
>
> Don't include upper bounds on base, template-haskell, or other libraries
> which cannot be upgraded, unless you know with certainty that your package
> will not compile with those other versions. Motivation:
>
> * The bounds will never help cabal choose a better build plan.

...this assumes (as I mentioned in an earlier post) that GHC is never
going to ship again with two versions of base (like in the past with
base3/4). For that case, we'd want at least something like `base < 5` as
upper bound in place (with the policy that `5.*` will only ever be
reached if something really disruptive is done to `base`)