qualified imports, PVP and so on

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 12:45:39 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>wrote:

> * The bounds will never help cabal choose a better build plan.

It won't help cabal but it might inform the user what's wrong so he/she can
do something about it. Dependency errors are more high-level than
compilation errors.

> * The bounds make it very difficult to check and debug new versions of GHC.

I believe we added a cabal flag to skip the upper bounds check. Mikhail, do
you remember?

>  * Including the bounds if you know the build will fail makes for more
> user-friendly messages.

I think the more friendly message for base is: this package doesn't work
with this (new) version of GHC. We sometimes have breaking base changes
(like in the upcoming 7.8 release, which changes some primops.) Having an
error on the base version is better than a compilation error in that case.