qualified imports, PVP and so on (Was: add new Data.Bits.Bits(bitZero) method)

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 15:57:15 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 2:11 AM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>wrote:

> I disagree with that assertion. I get plenty of complaints from users
> about trying to install packages and getting "confusing error messages"
> about cabal plan mismatches. I don't disagree that the PVP does make the
> user experience better in some cases. What I disagree with is the
> implication that it makes the user experience better in *all* cases. This
> is simply not a black-and-white issue.

And how much of this is because you use your own versioning riules instead
of what everyone else uses, thereby almost guaranteeing conflicts with
everyone else when anything is updated? Seriously, the easiest way to get
in trouble with the current system is to insist you get to not follow it,
because stuff breaks. Asserting it's everyone else's fault isn't a solution.

Seriously, if everyone follows your versioning system, hsenv becomes
essential just as RVM is essential in the Rails community; everyone has to
provide their own curated system (your Stackage isn't going to serve
everyone's needs, and asking you to make it serve everyone's needs is
unreasonable and quite likely an impossible task when everyone else is also
doing their own thing) and users have to maintain separate ecosystems for
everything they use. This isn't maintainable for much of anyone.

(I see someone else later on actually advocated this as a solution. It's
not. It's an ongoing maintenance disaster that leads to unmanageable
systems.)