PVP proposal: don't require major version bump when adding non-orphan instances

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 19:32:04 UTC 2014

I agree that creating a new class or data type and supplying instances for
it fits within the spirit of what the PVP allows in a minor revision, and
should probably be clarified as we slowly try to etch a more accurate
notion of what it means to be 'safe' in PVP terms.

w.r.t. having upper bounds at all, I think that belongs in a separate
discussion.

For the record, you can put me down as +1 on this proposal in spirit.

There may be some quibbling I'd take with the language though for the case
where you have a package with classes and a package that has orphans for
those classes for a package that was too burdensome to add as a dependency
for the base package, both under the control of the same maintainer.
(Mutatis mutandis for data types)

An example would be vector-instances. As I control both it, and most of the
packages it makes orphans for, I'm simply constraining myself from not
releasing versions of those packages with conflicting instances unless I
bump them out of bounds.

I'd like to find a way to spell this out in clearer PVP'ese, but it is the
way in which I'm most likely to be PVP non-compliant in the future.