qualified imports, PVP and so on

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 20:04:05 UTC 2014

I very much agree with the sentiment that bounds on, say, template-haskell
or ghc-prim never help build plans.

One of the most common complaints I get from users has to do with the
garbage type errors they get out of the template-haskell that runs lens
when some package somewhere has "upgraded" their `template-haskell` install
to a non-compatible version.

By the time they discover this they are often several packages further
along in the install and only have the vaguest inkling of what caused the
problem in the first place.

Regarding base I still use the < 5 bound, as as Herbert pointed out if we
ever needed to ship with support for two versions of base during some big
cut-over, it'd be nice to have it work. That said, I'm somewhat leery of
how well the community could deal with that in practice. Even the old
monads-fd vs mtl split nearly rent the ecosystem asunder. ;)

-Edward