HP Server Release (was: A modest proposal (re the Platform))

harry voldermort at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 20 09:03:57 UTC 2014

As someone who frequently installs Haskell on servers, I'm interested in what
you have in mind. My install process basically consists of 3 steps:

1) Install GHC from bindist
2) Delete all the documentation (except licenses), and all the stuff that's
only needed for profiling, dynamic linking, and GHCi;
3) Install caball-install

I'm not interested in any other pre-installed packages, because
cabal-install will download and install what's needed when it needs it. The
basic idea of HP - a pre-selected set of libraries to base development on -
is only meaningful for developer workstations, not the servers that they
deploy their software to. As for making it easier to install a working
Haskell system, there's a separate proposal to include cabal-install with
the bindist.