RFC: include a cabal-install executable in future GHC releases

Henning Thielemann schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Jan 20 17:05:22 UTC 2014

Am 20.01.2014 17:55, schrieb Anthony Cowley:

> cabal-install works very well, and is key to getting a Haskell development environment up and running. The only downside is if there is much call for minimal GHC binary distributions: If we would need to provide multiple downloads, that starts to verge into HP territory. So I shall clarify my +1 to say that I always want a cabal-install executable with my GHC, but it would be good to hear from people who really don't want that extra baggage.

For me it would mean duplication. Whenever I install GHC I already have
a running cabal-install and I can install a new one, if a new version of
cabal-install is released.

I think the banner above the GHC download page makes pretty clear, that
the binary GHC tarball is not intended for comfort use. Maybe the banner
can be extended by a hint, where cabal-install executables can be
downloaded.