Backward-compatible role annotations

Henning Thielemann schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Mar 31 07:43:11 UTC 2014

Am 31.03.2014 08:51, schrieb Dominique Devriese:
> Richard,
>
> (re-posting because I first used an address that is not subscribed to the lists)
>
> I've been wondering about the following: it seems like the main
> problem in this situation is that the GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving
> extension changed meaning from "just coerce everything while deriving"
> to "only coerce stuff if it's allowed by the relevant role
> annotations".  Would it not be an alternative solution to split up the
> GND extension into
>
> * a backwards-compatible one (called GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving for
> backwards compatibility ;)) that ignores role annotations (as before)
> and uses unsafeCoerce whereever necessary
> * a safe one (called e.g. SafeNewtypeDeriving) that respects role annotations

That's very similar to what I proposed with respect to SafeHaskell, i.e.
GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving in an Unsafe module means
backwards-compatible old GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving and
GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving in a Safe module means SafeNewtypeDeriving.

 > P.S.: The above is based on a limited understanding of the problem, so
 > I'm sorry if it misses some aspect of the problem...

I think their main concern is not on the side of the user who wants to
use GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving, but on the side of the library writer
who has to take GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving into account, although it is
an extension and his code would be perfectly safe without
GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving. The first one is a problem only in the
transition from GHC-7.6 to GHC-7.8, but the latter one is a permanent
problem.

But then again, the backward-compatible role annotations proposal seems
to address yet another problem.