'temporary' package

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Sat May 10 20:43:44 UTC 2014

Frankly, even 2-3 week turnaround can often be too tight. I would caution
us to err very highly on the side of caution.

Many package maintainers do not upgrade to the latest and greatest GHC.
Some will stick to platform releases. I want more and more of the Haskell
ecosystem to work with GHC 7.8, but I don't expect it all to until after
there is a platform release that contains it.

I have some developers who shove me patches to support GHC 7.9, some that I
take as I can, but some I would have to take them blindly and will not be
correct for 7.9 as it exists in a few months, but only as it exists now.
Should we hold those to the same timetable?

Even by these extended "2-3 week" terms both Ross and Bryan would be
dealing with forks / reclaiming their packages and both are fairly active
members of our community, wonderful contributors whose gears merely mesh
with everyone else's intermittently.

The pain of a false positive far exceeds the cost of waiting longer.

If we're going to enshrine this in policy, I'd really only feel comfortable
with something like a hard 6 month no-response rule, after multiple contact
attempts, and that the issue should be something that is clearly affecting
a released platform.

That is long enough that it is obvious that the maintainer is disconnected,
and where the moral balance has *clearly* shifted to the community good.

If someone wants to go through the pain of maintaining some kind of
registry for maintainers to opt-in to a tighter timeline then by all means
do so, but I far prefer an inclusive approach that allows maintainers to go
do other things for a while.

If you feel the need is pressing, you *can* fork, but forks that smash the
same namespace do drive fragmentation in the community, so I'd plead with
folks to do so with caution.

-Edward Kmett