Gearing up (again) for the next release: 2014.2.0.0

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Mon May 26 13:49:11 UTC 2014

Mark Lentczner wrote:
> all's well... Johan back ported the changes

So it's moot for this release. But in principle, what would
have been the problem with having the platform installers
ship with the 1.20 executable, or build the 1.20 executable
in a sandbox for installers that build it, and then still ship
with Cabal-1.18. in the libraries?

On a related note: are we sure that we want cabal-install
to print the upgrade message whenever a newer version
is available on hackage? If we believe it might be a
problem to have a version of Cabal installed that is
inconsistent with the one bundled with GHC, then why
are we telling people to install it?

Thanks,
Yitz