Gearing up (again) for the next release: 2014.2.0.0

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Mon May 26 13:54:51 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Yitzchak Gale <gale at sefer.org> wrote:

> Johan Tibell  wrote:
> >> I don't know if shipping both Cabal 1.18 and 1.20 in
> >> the HP will lead to problems. If so, I can backport
> >> the cabal-install changes to 1.18.
>
> Mark Lentczner wrote:
> > all's well... Johan back ported the changes
>
> So it's moot for this release. But in principle, what would
> have been the problem with having the platform installers
> ship with the 1.20 executable, or build the 1.20 executable
> in a sandbox for installers that build it, and then still ship
> with Cabal-1.18. in the libraries?

I don't think it's a problem, two different version of a package can
happily coexist in a package DB after all. There's a theoretical diamond
dependency problem if some other package in HP links against Cabal.

I mostly backported the change to be conservative, as I couldn't foresee
all possible issues.