[reactive] instance Monad Behavior where ...

Thomas Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 17:03:31 EST 2008

While hacking a bit on Creighton Hogg's Tetris game, I came across
something interesting re composability.  I have made each tile appear
as a taurus, and decided it might be fun if the tauruses span while
you played (just for added vomit-worthyness).  So I set about changing
my tile from a Geometry3 to a Behavior Geometry3.  This went well,
until it came to getting the spinning tiles to display something based
on the game state.  The tetris game is a Behavior GameState, where the
game state stores the positions of the tiles on the board etc.

What I *want* is that I compute the current game state, by looking
into the Behavior GameState, get a GameState up, and then apply a
function createTetrisGeometry :: GameState -> Behavior Geometry3.
This sounds a lot like (>>=) to me, unfortunately there's no Monad
instance for Behavior though :(.

I've heard from various sources that the Monad instance is problematic
for a couple of reasons.  I'd love it if we could have a bit of a
discussion about why it's problematic, and if it can be fixed.

Thanks

Bob

p.s. It is possible to hack round this problem by making a function
createTetrisGeometry :: TimeT -> GameState -> Behavior Geometry3, and
then using (uncurry createTetrisGeometry) <$> (time <^(,)^> tetris).
The result currently looks something like this... http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/rpg/tatd2/tetris.png