[Template-haskell] Ramblings on TH names

Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:16:09 -0000

| I'm beginning to work with TH. I'm sincerely finding the whole thing
| extraordinary, using (nearly) plain Haskell to write Haskell macros. I
| think this idea will have great echoes on the programming community :
| Haskell was already the best language, so now it will be a model for
| everyone (I am dreaming).

If you start to use TH for something real, I'd be fascinated to know
some details.  Future developments will be driven largely by
applications, so pls let us know how it goes.

| There is a drawback in the current implementation though : I think the
| names of the data and functions are terrible !

I don't think we have any big investment in the particular names.  We
tried to be consistent in their length, to indicate which 'family' they
come from, but I'm not sure that really comes off.

In short, concrete, worked out suggestions for how to improve the naming
would be very welcome. =20

Simon