[Template-haskell] quasi quotes and Q monad

Ch. A. Herrmann herrmann at infosun.fmi.uni-passau.de
Wed Jan 4 09:44:53 EST 2006

Hi Simon,

I have reduced the program to the parts interesting for
our topic. The program is attached.

Function f looks nice with the quasi quotation, but in case
we have to use the low-level style the argument to
g must be a monadic value, which I did here by using
return, e.g. (return (VarE x)).

I worried whether the function f in low-level style with this
use of return is equivalent to the quasi-quoted version.
Somehow I  felt the need to  connect the argument of  g with
the monad of which the value of g's result belongs to. It
appeared to me that this is what the quotation brackets [|y|] are
establishing, because y is also in the scope of the outer brackets.

On the one hand, I wonder why the name generation history, when
code generation for a quotation part is finished, is not reset to the state
before. This would be the case with the separate monad for g's
argument. On the other hand, it must be possible to nest quotation
brackets and still establish that names at the different levels are
distinct, if it is wanted.

Many thanks in advance for any enlighting explanation
--
 Christoph