[web-devel] Re: consolidating Haskell's web-framework scene

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Mar 15 12:52:46 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Dmitry Belayev <rumata-estor at nm.ru> wrote:

> Compile-type checking can be very helpful and it is Haskell's strong side.
>
> But what about hot code swapping? In working web application it is often
> convenient to update some part of application without disturbing connected
> users. It's strong side of Erlang, but what about Haskell?

That's definitely a good point. My current deployment uses lighttpd/CGI to
server the application, along with a development system running on 3000.
Here's my workflow:

1) Develop on local system using simple-server.
2) Push changes to development system. Who cares about a little downtime
there.
3) When everything works, pull changes into the production repo.
4) Compile everything with -Wall -Werror.
5) Copy templates, static files and CGI binary in one fell swoop to the
production directory.

So this is really a solution outside of Haskell. I believe Turbinado used
some features for dynamically compiling code, but I prefer this kind of
approach in general.

If I was during a standalone server approach, one possibility for production
deployment might be:

1) Run the production server on port 3001 (or anything else). Set up
iptables to forward port 80 to port 3001. (I do this already).
2) When I want to make a production change, start a *new* production server
on port 3002.
3) Adjust iptables to port forward to 3002.
4) Next time around, switch back to 3001.

For the record, I think iptables forwarding is probably the safest way to
run an application on a privileged port.