[web-devel] What frameworks are there?

Kyle Murphy orclev at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 09:29:43 EDT 2010

-R. Kyle Murphy
--
Curiosity was framed, Ignorance killed the cat.

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 04:17, Alistair Bayley <alistair at abayley.org> wrote:

> Uh...
>
> From http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/pkg-list.html#cat:web
>
> 1. happs
> 2. yesod
> 3. hack

4. salvia
> 5. kibro
> 6. hsp  (barely a framework, I think)
>

>From the descriptions of those all but kibro, and happs/yesod which have
been mentioned, I would classify as bits of frameworks, rather than a full
framework like happs or yesod. Kibro looks interesting, but I can't find any
documentation at all but the rather meager hadoc info on hackage itself,
which tells me next to nothing about the framework. It also looks like Kibro
is a CGI framework and not a full application server.

Other frameworks not on hackage, possibly not under active development:

> 7. hvac (
> http://fmapfixreturn.wordpress.com/2008/03/23/ann-hvac-01b-a-transactional-declarative-framework-for-lightweight-web-applications/
> )
> 8. turbinado ( possibly abandoned: http://github.com/alsonkemp/turbinado )
> 9. WASH  ( http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/WaSh ,
> http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~thiemann/WASH/<http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/%7Ethiemann/WASH/>)

Hadn't heard of Turbinado and I'm checking that out now (it at least has
some documentation even if a few of the links seem to be broken). WASH
likewise looks interesting, although I'm not terribly thrilled about using
CGI (I will if I have to, but I'd be more comfortable with a full
application server). hvac looks like it has potential, although the lack of
documentation probably means I won't be using it.

> There are some other bits which don't qualify as full frameworks, but
> might well be useful in their own right:
>
>  - HStringTemplate
>  - formlets
>
> And there's bound to be stuff that I've missed.
>
> Alistair

Yes, and I've actually looked at both HStringTemplate and formlets (briefly)
with the idea to either use them in conjunction with one of the other
frameworks (Yesod I know uses HStringTemplate, at least for the moment, and
I think Happs has some integration with formlets).

As was mentioned by Gour in another followup to this, there's also Hakyll,
which is an interesting possibility, but I'm not sure I'd be happy with the
result. In particular it would ruin my plans for integrating with Google
Checkout as I was planning on using the server side XML interface.

Based on the feedback I've gotten so far, my list of possibilities in order
of preferance seems to be:
1) Yesod
2) Turbinado (might change, need to look at this more)
3) Happs
4) WASH
5) Hakyll (if I can stomache using static generation)
6) All the poorly documented ones like hvac, and kibro
7) Roll my own out of the various pieces