[web-devel] What frameworks are there?

John Melesky list at phaedrusdeinus.org
Thu Apr 8 11:26:23 EDT 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 6:29 AM, Kyle Murphy wrote:
> Hadn't heard of Turbinado and I'm checking that out now (it at least
> has some documentation even if a few of the links seem to be
> broken). WASH likewise looks interesting, although I'm not terribly
> thrilled about using CGI (I will if I have to, but I'd be more
> comfortable with a full application server). hvac looks like it has
> potential, although the lack of documentation probably means I won't
> be using it.

WASH is old, iirc, so it may not work with modern GHCs. Turbinado is
recent, but also recently abandoned[1].

Mostly i wanted to comment on the CGI issue. It's a fairly common
kneejerk for those of us who come from a dynamic language background
to assume that CGI is a bad idea, but it's a much less bad idea for
Haskell than it is for Perl, Python, or whatnot. There's no large
interpreter which needs to be loaded into memory, nor a time-consuming
parsing/compilation step.

There is, still, the overhead of starting a new process, and the
(practically nonexistent, with any kind of reasonable disk caching)
overhead of loading up the binary in the first place. But even those
can be eliminated if you move from CGI to FastCGI (or your preferred
daemonizer).

So don't dismiss CGI out of hand. It's not as bad as you remember.

-johnnnnnn

[1] http://www.alsonkemp.com/haskell/reflections-on-leaving-haskell/