[web-devel] Sending email

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Fri Aug 20 05:07:59 EDT 2010

I've written a module in Yesod for email[1], but it doesn't actually rely on
any Yesod features, so could be factored out easily. I've also written a
sample program[2] to go along with it. The main feature is to be able to
easily generate multi-part emails. It also includes some code to send an
email via createProcess/sendmail.

If people like this and would like to see it released outside of Yesod, I
can easily do so.

Jeremy:

It seems strange that SMTPClient uses a String to represent the message
body. My module uses a lazy ByteString. I suppose you could always just do a
Lazy.Char8.unpack to get the results from my module into SMTPClient.

I like the idea of using markdown, I might try that in the future. As far as
the templating, I'm not even touching that one: Yesod.Mail deals exlusively
with lazy ByteStrings, and you can generate those however you see fit.

Michael

[1] http://github.com/snoyberg/yesod/blob/master/Yesod/Mail.hs
<http://github.com/snoyberg/yesod/blob/master/Yesod/Mail.hs>[2]
http://github.com/snoyberg/yesod/blob/master/mail.hs