[web-devel] Interpolation character in Julius

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Aug 23 20:12:39 CEST 2010

Hamlet, Cassius and (currently) Julius all use a consistent set of
characters for interpolation. The dollar sign ($) is for plain scalars, the
at sign (@) is for URLs and the caret (^) is for embedding other templates
(mixins in the case of Cassius). I like this consistency.

Unfortunately, in the case of Julius, the dollar sign is a suboptimal
character to use since jQuery uses is so extensively. Currently, to write
some simple jQuery Javascript such as:

$("h1").hide()

you have to use a double dollar sign to achieve escaping, namely:

$$("h1").hide()

So the questions to the list are:

* Is it worth trading consistency for a better choice of interpolation
character?
* If so, what would be a more optimal interpolation character? I think
percent sign (%) might be acceptable.

Interpolation is not as important in Julius as it is in Hamlet, so I'm
beginning to lean towards replacing the character.

Michael