[web-devel] Hamlet variable interpolation syntax [previously: A few questions about Yesod]

Max Cantor mxcantor at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 06:52:49 CET 2010

On Dec 31, 2010, at 1:48 PM, Michael Snoyman wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 7:33 AM, Max Cantor <mxcantor at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I agree with just dropping the dot syntax and using spaces for function application to be consistent with haskell syntax.
>>
>> Another inelegance of the syntax is the difference between:
>>
>> $xxx
>> and
>> $yyy$
>>
>> The first requires xxx to be a special hamlet keyword (forall, if, maybe) and the second just references a normal haskell value. So, the second $ on a line sort of changes the meaning of the leading $.  Its not terrible and I've gotten used to it, but I imagine it could be a bit confusing at first.
>
> If others feel the same way, I have no problem using a different
> leading character than dollar signs for statements. Or- now that we're
> considering truly breaking changes- we could resurrect the possibility
> of standardizing variable interpolation character for Hamlet, Julius
> and Cassius. I suppose we could try percent sign for variable
> interpolation (like Julius) and then keep the dollar sign for
> statements.
Fully agree with standardizing it.

About adding things like pattern matching and other complexities, I'd suggest not doing that.  things like pattern matching can be readily address with local function bindings in the haskell function that calls the hamlet template.

I've personally moved in that direction of using a lot of little bindings like that to make my hamlet code as simple as possible.

Max