[web-devel] Persistent Feature Suggestion - append only tables

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Fri Jan 28 06:11:18 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Max Cantor <mxcantor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a thought, but if there was a way to annotate tables in Persistent as append only, that would open to the door to some cool, application-side caching in persistent.
>
> Note that simply omitting "Update" from the table definition is insufficient since the row could still be deleted.
>
> Michael et al., what do you think?

I'm not sure it's a good idea at the table definition level: I could
definitely see a case where you want your webapp itself to only
append, but you would want to write a utility on the side that could
modify as well.

I think the best approach would be to provide a wrapper around a
standard Persistent connection that limits the operations to only
appending, and simultaneously adds the caching. Does this make sense?

Michael