[web-devel] Yesod renaming

Alexey Levan exlevan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 01:25:47 CET 2011

2011/3/26 Felipe Almeida Lessa <felipe.lessa at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Aristid Breitkreuz
> <aristidb at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> It's scary? I don't even know what "Yesod" means, and it sounds totally and
>> utterly neutral to me, not scary at all. But it is easy to remember anyways,
>> due to being very distinctive.
>> What makes it sound scary to you?
>
> My mother tongue is Portuguese, so neither "Yesod" nor "monad" meant
> anything to me when I first heard of them.  However none of them give
> a warm, fuzzy feeling.  I can't speak for people whose mother language
> is English, but I'd bet they don't get this feeling as well.
>
> As an example, "Ruby on Rails" feels nice.  You actually can imagine a
> nice, big, red ruby going fast like a train =).

I know, let's just read "Yesod" backwards, it's much warmer this way!

Seriously though, I think that renaming of Yesod is going to be a
wasted effort.  The web is full of meaningless names and acronyms, I
don't consider having one as a big deal.  What matters in the end is
quality of product behind a name/visibility of a name/etc., but not
the name per se.  There're products with worse names (like GIMP),
which are nevertheless popular.

I see no reason for renaming Yesod.  It's not hard to read (it not
like there's four consonants in a row), it's not hard to remember
(it's 5 letters, are you kidding me?), and it doesn't have to mean
anything (from now on, it will mean "that awesome web framework").
I'd much rather see the Yesod folks contributing more
features/documentation than wasting their with the rename.

There are another projects with different spellings (my-sequel?
my-es-que-el?). I mean, it's not _that_ bad.

--
Alexey