[web-devel] Kick-off discussion: Yesod 0.9

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Tue May 31 09:07:11 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Greg Weber <greg at gregweber.info> wrote:
> On devel mode- I have contacted the maintainer of the Shaker package in
> hopes of getting it to build with ghc7 so that using Shaker can be better
> investigated- it seems to already take the approach that we want, so it may
> have already solved some of our problems. I have also requested a cabal-dev
> library api (instead of just a command line interaction), which would make
> it easier to use cabal-dev in development mode.

Wow, I didn't realize how much Shaker looks like exactly what we need.
Good find!

> As for storing rendered web pages- if you are displaying a link to them it
> seems that you need a database entry. This kind of entry doesn't seem like
> it makes sense in an hledger journal unless there is a section for
> configuration. I don't know if you already have config files- seems like it
> could be there. Otherwise a sqlite database could be used. Normally database
> entries point to external files rather than embed the file directly for
> performance reasons that may not concern you. An approach for external files
> could be a directory structure within a config directory. I think the
> community is in need of some re-usable file attachment code that makes it
> easy to save a file and switch between the local file system or Amazon S3,
> etc.

That *does* sound like a very good idea. If anyone's interested in
undertaking something like this, let me know. I think Aristid's aws
package[1] in particular would be good for the S3 backend.

Michael

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/aws