[web-devel] Kick-off discussion: Yesod 0.9

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Wed Jun 1 17:46:49 CEST 2011

This is some good stuff, thanks. Some specific comments below.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Justin Greene <justin.j.greene at gmail.com> wrote:
>> * Forms package: It's been rewritten, but hasn't really had much input
>> from others. Now's the time to speak up if you have any opinions on
>> it. The code is available on Hackage.
>
> List of things that should be inside a forms package in my opinion.
> Custom Design: Form layout should be simple to customize and not be based
> around auto generating tables (if both are possible then of course the later
> can be used).

This is a major component of the design of the package. It now
supports both Applicative (auto generating tables/divs) and Monad
(custom layout) approaches. (The third type of form is an Input form,
intended for only receiving form submissions without generating HTML.)
Though I'm sure there are ways that the monadic forms could be
improved, given that they aren't used nearly as much as Applicative in
my sites.

> Variable length lists: It should be possible to add form elements on the
> client side and bind them on the server side.  An example of this would be a
> list of addresses.  A programmer should be able to add a new address widget
> client side without problems when binding server side.

Agreed, this needs to be added.

> into the normal validation pipeline.  An example would be validating that if
> a checkbox is selected then a textbox becomes required.
> All validation errors should display around the same time, e.g. if a type
> validator fires it should not prevent other validators from firing after it
> unless those validators depend upon that type data.

Right now, you can apply whatever validation you want to an individual
fields and display the error messages inline. For complex scenarios,
I'm not quite certain what an interface (both programming interface
and UI) would look like for assigning these error messages inline.
Short of that, it seems outside the scope of the form package itself
to validate such interactions. For example, you could always write
code along the lines of:

((res, form), enctype) <- runFormPost ...
case res of
    FormSuccess x ->
        case complexTest x of
            Left e -> showFormWithErrMsg form e
            Right y -> onSuccess y
    _ -> showFormWithoutErrMsg form

> These are just my thoughts based upon my experiences writing forms.  I can't
> really utilize any framework that doesn't implement these features for the
> types of projects I do.
> If you need any more details/clarification I'd be happy to help.

If you are interested in getting into more of the API design, that
would be awesome.

Michael