[web-devel] Happstack internationalization and localization

Jeremy Shaw jeremy at n-heptane.com
Sat Dec 10 03:17:18 CET 2011

Hello,

Happstack does not offer anything special for internationalization.
And, it probably shouldn't either. I18N is a more general problem, and
it seems like a more general solution is what you want.

That said, to the best of my knowledge, I18N and L10N are not a very
well explored areas of Haskell development.

This page suggestions some methods:

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Internationalization_of_Haskell_programs

What template system are you trying to use?

Also, if you  have suggestions for how Happstack could make I18N
easier -- we'd be happy to hear them. But it seems like the problem is
largely orthogonal to Happstack itself?

One area where Happstack could be involved is if you wished to use
text encodings than UTF-8. That is mostly possible with Happstack
already. But you would need a pretty compelling reason to not just
stick with UTF-8 I think. (For example, interoperating with a legacy
system that does not use UTF-8).

- jeremy