[web-devel] http-types: Request for comments for major release

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Sat Jun 30 21:40:38 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Aristid Breitkreuz
<aristidb at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello Haskellers,
>
> I would like to prepare a new major release of http-types, for the following
> reasons:
>
> Removing functions that have been deprecated for months.
> I have added a new module QueryLike, which should make it much easier to
> create Query objects (it is modelled after recurring patterns in my usage).
> Possibly: An opportunity to split the big module Network.HTTP.Types into
> smaller modules (of course still exposing all functionality at the
> well-known Network.HTTP.Types module).
> Add new functionality that the community (you!) wants to see.
>
> So the first thing I'd like to ask of you is to please remove deprecated
> functionality and/or create strict upper bounds. The upcoming version will
> be 0.7, and other than removing deprecated functions, I plan to keep the API
> fully compatible.
>
> The other thing is: Are there things you'd like to see added? Does
> http-types as it is have deficiencies that you'd like to see addressed?
>
> And to the Yesod maintainers: As Yesod is right now the single biggest user
> of http-types (with a relatively long release cycle), would it be OK for you
> to relax the bounds in the upcoming release to http-types >=0.6.11 && <0.8
> (assuming you don't use deprecated functions), even when http-types 0.7 is
> not released yet?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Aristid

What's the timeframe on the http-types release? It might be that it
fits in perfectly with the upcoming wai release (probably in the next
two weeks or so). Either way, it's not a problem to bump max versions
mid-cycle. If the code can work unmodified with either version, that's
a really easy change. But even breaking changes can be accomodated
(with a bit of pain) using conditional compiling; that's what we ended
up doing for blaze-html 0.5.

I think that splitting up into a few submodules and keeping a master
module re-exporting everything is a good move. And of course, removing
deprecated functions is a good thing too. Otherwise, I don't have much
of an opinion here, http-types has been one of those "it works and I
don't have to think much about it" packages :).

Michael