[web-devel] Esqueleto error messages

Felipe Almeida Lessa felipe.lessa at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 14:58:17 CEST 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Erik de Castro Lopo
<mle+hs at mega-nerd.com> wrote:
> Messages resulting from a single incorrect identifier below.
> I actually now notice that error for line 76 point to the
> specific cause, while the multiple errors flagged for line
> 62 just confuse matters. Part of the confusion is that I
> tend to look at error messages from top to bottom, possibly
> from my long term work in C and C++. I'm not sure if the top
> to bottom approach to reading error messages is valid for
> Haskell.

IME, it depends.  My workflow is:

  1) Look at the top and see if it's straightforward,
  2) Look at the bottom and see if it's straightforward,
  3) Scan the rest to find any straightforward error,
  4) If everything else fails, dig into one of them.

Sometimes when I'm working a lot using a single library (e.g.,
esqueleto) I begin recognizing some patterns and sometimes switch (1)
and (2).

BTW, you can get even funkier results if you mix
Database.Persistent.Query with esqueleto =).

So I really don't know if there's anything I could do to esqueleto to
alleviate this problem without losing its expressive syntax.

Cheers,

--
Felipe.