[Xmonad] how to install?

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Apr 13 12:36:56 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I made a somewhat desultory attempt at compiling xmonad, and am sad to
admit that I've failed, mostly because I've never learned to use cabal.
Yes, I'm terribly old-fashioned and out-of-date...

In the X11-extras directory I run:

./Setup.lhs configure --prefix=/home/droundy
./Setup.lhs build
./Setup.lhs install

and install fails because of lack of permissions.  It seems that I could
instead use ./Setup.lhs copy, but then when I configure xmonad, cabal fails
to find X11-extras.

Any suggestions?

Also, the configure step in X11-extras doesn't seem to bother checking
whether the xinerama library is present.  Is this a bug in X11-extras, or
in cabal? I certainly would hope that cabal would have the functionality to
check for presence of libraries...
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net