[Xmonad] darcs patch: fix typo. (and 1 more)

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 14:25:52 EDT 2007

David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 03:21:26AM -0500, Spencer Janssen wrote:
>> I'm tabling this one for now, because:
>>  - xmonad is in a feature freeze until 0.1 (coming soon)
>>  - it warrants a good discussion about the aim of xmonad
      (features,
>> minimalism, etc).
>
> Agreed.  Hopefully we (you?) can come up with a minimal core
  that is
> nevertheless sufficiently extensible that a suitable Config.hs
file can do
> anything a reasonable person would want.
> --
> David Roundy

Yes, definitely. I think the best idea would be to have that
stable extensible core, and let people swap around variants of
Config.hs, perhaps including the better ones in the
repository. ie, you could have a Ratpoison-style Config.hs, an Ion
style Config.hs, etc. I think the editor yi does something similar
with different keymap personalities for the emacsers & vimers
among us. The question is, what's left to add?  Right now, the
biggest lack which I can identify in Xmonad as compared to my old
Ratpoison/Stumpwm setup is the lack of any sort of status bar or
display area where I can dump the output of 'top -n 1' or 'uptime'
an' so on. Input seems handle-able by dmenu (despite a bad habit
of changing apostrophes to backticks) and similar programs so
output is the problem.

(Although, I'm not entirely pleased with Config.hs since it keeps
changing and inducing conflicts, but I suppose that's what I get
for changing a lot of defaults and adding stuff.)

--
Gwern
Inquiring minds want to know.