[Xmonad] initialization when running xmonad using xnest

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Fri Aug 3 03:05:27 EDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 11:34:42PM -0700, Michael Vanier wrote:
> I'm not ready to switch to using xmonad 100% of the time yet, so for the
> time being I'm running it using xnest.  The problem I'm having is that I
> don't know how to get xmonad (or xnest) to read an initialization file
> (e.g. a .xinitrc file) in these circumstances.  Does anyone have any
> suggestions?

Neither your window manager nor your X server is supposed to *ever*
touch .xinitrc; this is the responsibility of your display manager, or
if you do not use one, the server driver program.  For instance,
untested:

startx -- /usr/bin/Xnest :1

will load your .xinitrc file in the context of an Xnest on display 1.

Stefan