[Xmonad] xmd and xmonad

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Mon Aug 6 04:30:00 EDT 2007

Hi,

yesterday I had a coule of nasty experiences with xdm, the X display
manager. Indeed I discovered the when pressing mod-q repeatedly XMonad
will quit, instead of restarting, and you will be prompted with a new
xdm login screen.

I can always reproduce it: start X with xdm, and then login. Press
mod-q twice or more and you are out.

I cannot reproduce if I connect to Xmd from a remote X server launched
with the -query option.

For instance:
/usr/bin/Xnest -ac -query localhost :1

will not reproduce the error.

I cannot reproduce it with Kdm (I did not try with Gdm since it's not
installed on my system).

Can this be related to the way Xdm manages local sessions? I have the
feeling that this could be the problem.

By the way it is quite a nasty experience, not different from a crash.
And the user should be at least warned.

Ciao,
Andrea

PS: Instruction to run Xdm in a second X server:
1. change /etc/X11/xdm/Xserver to:
:10 local /usr/bin/X :10
2. start xdm with:
xdm
The display you'll have to connect to will be :10.
Now you can test the problem.