[Xmonad] darcs patch: Allow user to override Xinerama detection

Alec Berryman alec at thened.net
Sat Aug 18 12:35:24 EDT 2007

Andrea Rossato on 2007-08-18 08:13:13 +0200:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 08:08:23PM -0500, Alec Berryman wrote:
> > (please ignore previous patch - I forgot to update the README)
> >
> > The attached patch allows the user to override Xinerama detection.
> > I have the Xinerama headers installed because Debian's GTK+
> > development packages require it, but I only have one screen; for
> > some reason, probably related to the laptop's VGA out, xmonad thinks
> > there's a second one and I lose a workspace.  The attached patch
> > allows the user to pass the --without-xinerama to configure to
> > manually disable xinerama.
>
> I believe you should investigate your X installation, since your patch
> should not be needed. XMonad uses getScreenInfo to see whether it's
> running in a Xinerama environment or not.

I first noticed this a month or two ago and gave my X installation a
cursory glance; I didn't enable Xinerama, but did upgrade xorg, xorg
drivers, and xmonad at all about the same time, which didn't help me
track anything down (not that I had the time).  My solution then was to
just uninstall Xinerama headers, but that's no longer an option for me;
the patch I sent is the most expedient remedy for my problem.