[Xmonad] Howtos wanted: Configuring xmonad with display managers

Bruce Stephens xmonad at cenderis.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 2 14:38:45 EDT 2007

Jason Creighton <jcreigh at gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Is anybody running [xgk]dm with xmonad? If so, how? Please post your
> answer here, stating what distro you're running (is anybody running
> xmonad on something other than Linux?) and we'll compile the answers and
> put them up on the webpage. Or maybe there needs to be an xmonad wiki or
> something.

I'm running Debian unstable with gdm, and I just have an executable
script ~/.xsession which (after running ssh-agent, etc.) runs xmonad.
As, before, it ran ion3.

The rule is that once ~/.xsession exits the session ends.  So normally
the window manager is the last thing you run, and it's not run in the
background.