[Xmonad] Xinerama & switching workspaces

Dave Harrison dave at nullcube.com
Sun Jun 10 22:05:17 EDT 2007

Spencer Janssen wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:49:30 +1000
> Dave Harrison <dave at nullcube.com> wrote:
>
>> ... snip ...
>> So the question is, how do other people solve this problem (ie. how do
>> you cycle workspaces to find something you want in xinerama without
>> getting thrown around between screens) ?
>
> You should try GreedyView in XMonadContrib.  Let me know how you like
> it -- I've been considering making this the default behavior for some
> time now.
> ... snip ...
> Cheers,
> Spencer Janssen

Hi Spencer,

I've been using the GreedyView module for about a day now and I find
it makes alot more sense to me because it means that my active screen
_stays_ my active screen.  The concept of bringing the workspace to my
active screen every time works really well.

The one thing I'm trying to think my way around is how to handle this
situation,

 - I'm trawling my workspaces to see where I left a particular window
 - I (unintentionally) pull the workspace on my other screen to my
   active screen
 - My active workspace then gets swapped to the 2nd screen
 - I move my active screen to another workspace

Now the workspace I wanted to be on my 2nd screen is no longer visible
and I have to fish it out and put it back where it was.

But a big +1 on GreedyView.

Cheers
Dave