[Xmonad] darcs patch: add new combo layout combiner.

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Tue Jun 12 09:42:06 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 01:47:54PM +0200, Andrea Rossato wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 03:50:16PM -0700, David Roundy wrote:
> > Mon Jun 11 15:49:22 PDT 2007  David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>
> >   * add new combo layout combiner.
> >

> Hi David,
> unfortunately this layout is broken due to an api change:
> Mon Jun 11 20:26:29 CEST 2007  Spencer Janssen <sjanssen at cse.unl.edu>
>   * API CHANGE: Give doLayout a Stack rather than a flattened list
>
> I'll be trying to fix it as soon as I understand what is actually
> doing...;-)

I've fixed it to compile (soon to be sent in) but it'll be more work to
make it actually work again.  :( Rather disappointing that as soon as I get
a layout with which I can consider actually switching to use xmonad
full-time it no longer works.  It relied on subtleties of the raising and
lowering of windows which apparently no longer work.  In particular, the
change in doLayout seems to have affected the stacking order of windows,
with the result that tabbed sublayouts in combos no longer function
properly.  In fact, even the focussed window is no longer on top (often not
even visible).  :(

I keep hoping we can actually have stacks of stacks, then this would be
much easier.  As it is, Combo emulates stacks of stacks by only
implementing nested layouts.  But nested layouts isn't enough, because each
layout really needs to know which window is focussed in that layout--which
is to say, a stack.
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net