[Xmonad] darcs patch: make square work with new doLayout. (and 3 more)

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Tue Jun 12 13:43:51 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 10:02:17AM -0700, David Roundy wrote:
> It's been sent.  Presumably it'll be applied soon, or if it's rejected
> someone will send in a different fix.
>
> > I'd suggest some form of auditing, just to be sure that precedences and
> > prerequisites are being taken into account. I'm suggesting that a
> > double check could avoid this sort of things, and avoiding this sort
> > of think would be better for XMonada.
>
> This is the trouble with having two separate repositories for such closely
> linked code.  The theory (I believe) is that xmonad itself won't change so
> rapidly as the contrib modules, but when it *does* change, then
> synchronized changes need to be made.

David, please do not read my word as a critique. I'm just thinking
about the casual user, possibly a member of the haskell community, who
read about xmonad, its solid design, a project headed for it 0.3
release, and, without bothering to subscribe to the mailing list, pulls
the darcs source. Excited she starts messing with such nice
extensions, such as tabs and combos, but xmonad keeps crashing or
doesn't even compile because of such obvious coding mistakes - such as
using undeclared functions...

I have the patch, we all have. But she doesn't know the hard, chaotic
and quick work that is being done down here to get a solid but still
powerfully extensible WM.

By the way, I'm very supportive of your code: I've spent the last few
days just reading and chasing it. I'm far from asking to stop. I'm
just suggesting some care with the public repos. We could, you could
set up an internal tree, I'd be delighted to work to help with
checking, debugging and stabilizing it. Stuff could be merged as it
stabilizes.

Or, going on this way, just double check the coherence of each
changeset.

ciao
andrea