[Xmonad] darcs patch: Setup.lhs: added a specific haddock hook to deal with ...

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Jun 17 02:22:14 EDT 2007

mailing_list:
> I know that you are going to think I'm crazy, but I wanted to have package
> name and description in the front page, and there they are:
> http://gorgias.mine.nu/xmonad/
>
> In order to get there I had to dig into cabal (interesting though): I came
> out with this haddock hook, based on the original one. Basically:
> cabal/haddock uses package description and title (from xmonad.cabal) only
> when building libraries (I think it is supposed to be a feature). I though
> that probably XMonad can be both: you are changing the way people think, after all!
>
> Great being part of it...
> andrea
>
> Fri Jun 15 19:08:14 CEST 2007  Andrea Rossato <andrea.rossato at unibz.it>
>   * Setup.lhs: added a specific haddock hook to deal with xmonad documentation
>   This patch adds a haddock hook to Cabal.  Derived from
>   Distribution.Simple.haddock it uses package description and synopsis for the
>   html formatting.

I'm disinclined to add a cabal hook for this. Hooks are an unstable,
discouraged way to extend the build system (and they're considered a
security risk on hackage). The main reason not to use hooks is that
someone with a slightly different cabal will not be able to build xmonad
at all -- as the hooks api's won't match.

For build system extensions we have the utils dir (e.g. already there's
a script for generating the man page).

-- Don