[Xmonad] problems with self-modifying layouts

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Jun 22 09:59:20 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 03:52:58PM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> writes:
>
> > P.S. I'd be curious to see implemented a "popularity-contest" module for
> > xmonad once we've got serialization, which could use the logging mechanism
> > to report on the most frequently used layouts.  And yes, this would be in
> > XMonadContrib and only manually enabled.  I have no idea how many people
> > are actually using Tabbed, and how likely this is to break folks' Config
> > files.
>
> Is this really a concern?  One had to change Config.hs quite a number of
> times already, one more won't hurt.  Given the version number and the
> pace of evolution, it is good that xmonad is not constrained by
> Config.hs API stability.

It's not yet a concern, but as the version number and popularity increase,
it'll probably be a good idea to stablize the API of XMonadContrib modules
that are widely used, or at least to ensure that on upgrades users aren't
stuck with a Config.hs that possibly compiles, but leads to a non-useable
configuration.
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net