[Xmonad] Announce: xmobar-0.1 released!

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Sat Jun 23 10:22:17 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 04:13:02PM +1000, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> > I did extensive profiling: after reaching a given level, memory usage
> > seems to stop increasing. But I need some feed back to understand if
>
> That's interesting. Try setting a low bound on the heap size.

I'm making some experiment with that, with varied result: under 1 Mega
the program exited because of the limit, now I've been running with
+RTS -M1M -RTS and it keeps on running with increasing memory usage
(now 8124 (vir) 47808 (res) 2244 (shr)).

I've also tried a very long profiling (I run it many hours till it
ended up with 9 Mega or resident memory, according to top), and these
are the reports:

http://gorgias.mine.nu/xmobar/xmo.hp
http://gorgias.mine.nu/xmobar/xmo.prof
http://gorgias.mine.nu/xmobar/xmo.ps

This last one makes me wonder: it seems to me that the report is
wrong. According to heap profiling there are no memory leaks, am I
right? Am I reading the report correctly?

I remember I've read something about heap profiling not showing memory
leaks related with FFI, there were a discussion in the haskell-cafe
mailing list. I'll keep investigating.

If you guys have some clue that would be nice.

BTW, gorgias is up and running almost (I was able to get a backup
machine, an old, very old one).
You cen get the darcs repository here:
http://gorgias.mine.nu/repos/xmobar/

The server may be down during the next few days (it must be changed)
so in case of problems please try coming back later.

Ciao
Andrea