[Xmonad] Announce: xmobar-0.1 released!

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Sat Jun 23 14:01:30 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 06:19:19PM +0200, Robert Manea wrote:
> xmobar looks really nice though it seems to leak memory. Initially it
> started with 1936 KB resident memory after 1:06:34,30 it takes 5344 KB.
> I think you should investigate into this..

anyway you are totally right, there is a memory leak.

I hate C because all the malloc, and free, and so on: once I wrote a
patch to make the history size of the Ion3 prompt configurable with a
Lua function at run time.

Writing the patch was so quick, and the power of C memory management
makes you feel great... But then I spent 2 days in trying to debug a
stupid bug related to reading out of the range of an array.

Well, that was nothing compared to the difficulties I have in
debugging garbage collection and memory leak related issues in
Haskell. The fact that you do not need to manually allocate memory is
great. But if you do not know how the "guy", who is supposed to carry
out the job for you, behaves, well, you are in big big troubles.

ciao
andrea