[Xmonad] extensible layouts?

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed May 2 20:48:36 EDT 2007

droundy:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if there were any plans to add support for extensible
> layouts to xmonad? I haven't really gotten any comments on my patch to do
> so, and have no idea if the approach I sketched out is considered
> unacceptable, foolish, or what not.  Or perhaps there's just no real
> interest in extensible layouts by the other developers?

On the contrary! We *really* want to support arbitrary user layouts
specified in Config.hs (or elsewhere). I'd personally like ion-style
tiling. We've spent a bit of time talking about this on #xmonad.

The main issue is currently that the layout algos can't be specified
from Config.hs, and we need/intend to resolve this before 0.2.

> I'd rather not bother resolving the conflicts I've got with the recent
> burst of modifications if there's not much interest in the patch,
> particularly as my wrist has decided I shouldn't be using my computer very
> much--and I need to use one for work.

I think the best approach would be to work out a way to support user
Config.hs, and then just have submitted algos go into XMonadContrib.

Spencer, do you have some thoughts on this?

-- Don