[Xmonad] dynamic configuration? (e.g. hsplugins)

Spencer Janssen sjanssen at cse.unl.edu
Wed May 30 15:27:58 EDT 2007

On Wed, 30 May 2007 09:49:00 -0700
David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> wrote:

> I know others here have far more experience in this arena than I do,
> but are there any plans to support hsplugins or the ghc api, or just
> plain running under ghci, so that a recompile-reinstall cycle won't
> be necesary to update one's configuration? I'd assume this'd be in
> the works for version 0.7 or so, but thought I might as well ask.

0.7?  I don't think any of us have planned that far ahead :).

I think the current 'restart' (serialize state, exec, deserialize) is
more promising than dynamic code reloading.  We just need to make
additional pieces of state serializable (layouts, especially).

You can cut out the reinstall stage by pointing 'restart' straight at
your xmonad repo.  You can skip the recompilation step by telling
restart to 'runghc my/xmonad/dir/Main.hs'.

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen