[Xmonad] darcs patch: first shot at a floating layer

David Glasser glasser at mit.edu
Thu May 31 23:22:45 EDT 2007

On 5/31/07, Donald Bruce Stewart <dons at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> We plan to dump the internal state of xmonad to stdout, so that you can
> then post process it with a status bar client. dzen, for example, would
> happily display the index of the current workspace this way. Expect a
> patch for this soonish.

Excellent.  The only downside to doing it this way is that to have
different bars on different windows, you'd have to make the output
multiplexed to multiple dzens, but that isn't too hard to do in the
processing script.

(I was thinking of doing this a different way in my Config, by storing
a list of output handles in the X monad state each pointing at a
different screen's dzen.  Which reminds me, we should implement a way
to allow user Config to add features (especially state) to the X
monad; I just sent in a TODO for that.)

--dave

--
David Glasser | glasser at mit.edu | http://www.davidglasser.net/