[Xmonad] KDE_NET_SYSTEM_TRAY_WINDOWS root window property

Roman Dubtsov dubtsov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 02:17:25 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm writing a standalone tray app (stalonetray) and recently I got an
e-mail from the user asking why stalonetray does not support KDE icons
under Xmonad WM.

After grepping through the sources I have found that Xmonad does not
keep list of KDE icons in KDE_NET_SYSTEM_TRAY_WINDOWS root window
property as expected by stalonetray. As a fallback method (in case
this property does not exist), stalonetray tries to react on MapNotify
events from root window to track KDE icons. However, under Xmonad,
stalonetray never receives such notifies.

So, I have two questions:
1. I have no Haskel experience, so could someone clarify: is it
possible to change Configure.hs so that KDE icons list is kept in
KDE_NET_SYSTEM_TRAY_WINDOWS root window property?
2. Why does not my app receive MapNotifies from root window? Is there
a error at my end?

Thanks,
Roman